Wednesday, June 29, 2011

A Beautiful Day

I've been sitting in my house most of this summer.  I know...stupid.  Mainly because the weather here has been a little weird.  Cooler and rainier than usual for TN.   Now, today was a beautiful day.  I looked out my kitchen window over the giant pile of dirty dishes in the sink and decided to go sit outside for a few minutes.  So I took my new Kindle, that I've just started figuring out how to use, and sat on my covered patio with the cool breeze blowing.  While I was sitting out there reading, I thought, what constitutes a perfect day?  I'd seen a post on Facebook from a friend I work with that asked if there was one day you'd want to do over again, what day would it be?  I couldn't answer.  I've experienced so many perfect days, there's no way I'd choose just one.  I've been so blessed to have TONS of perfect days.
I decided to go sit on the 15 year old swing set that Greg built our oldest daughter when she was two.  We built a bench swing on it so we could sit and swing while the kids played on the rest of it. 
As I swung back and forth, I looked around at the perfectly blue sky.  The white puffy clouds, which are my favorite, hanging around not looking like they weren't in a hurry to be anywhere.  The sound of cars and a motorcycle buzzing and humming by the front of our house is so familiar, I don't hardly register it.  The tops of the trees that have grown into giants since we moved into our house 20 years ago were dancing.  There was my oldest daughter 'tanning' as she calls it on the trampoline, while the youngest was still in the house playing a game on the computer.  I didn't feel too bad, she'd been out walking earlier when it wasn't as warm. 
I thought you always hear people say, appreciate everything because today might be your last day.  Take it all in.  Take nothing for granted.
I guess today was my day to stop trying to do everything else.  It was great.  I wasn't out there long...maybe 10 minutes, but it was enough to make a great memory.  It was my beautiful day.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely post. My grandmother used to always say, "I don't want to be wishing my days away." I never quite understood the full meaning of that until I got older. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we're young, all we want to do is grow up. I hear my older daughter always say, "I can't wait 'til I'm"...what ever her magic age was. Until she was 16, it was, "I can't wait til I'm 16"..now she drives and she's 17. I haven't really heard her wish her days away since then. Maybe that's what your grandmother was talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post :) I'm glad you had a beautiful day.

    Hey, I can see your Followers list; does that mean it's working again? Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's being fickle! It comes and goes. Decided not to worry about it and let it be like the ghost that flicks your lights on and off and just ignore it. lol

    ReplyDelete