Friday, July 29, 2011

Random writing thoughts

I've been neglecting my poor blog...so I thought I'd better come by and spruce it up a bit.  I have a post from a writer friend of mine that I'll share with you next week.  I'll 'advertise' a little first, to give her a few more people to read it.  Since I'm still new at this blogging thing, I don't have a lot of followers yet.  But I have to say, the 15 of you I have, I appreciate to no end!  You're the coolest people ever to me!  :)

I was writing this morning for Big Black Cat's WoCoMoMo...this is the last day of the contest.  I'm trying to get to 50,000 words for the month, but I had to write this down first.  As I sit in my kitchen table on the laptop, I have NickJr. courtesy of my daughter Cassidy going in the living room.  Not knocking NickJr.  LOVE that station.  It's great, but when you're trying to write about other stuff, and your mind jumps around like mine, it's hard to focus sometimes. 

The scene I was writing today has been in my mind for a long time, but I'd never taken the time to just write it down. Thinking about it and actually getting the words out of my brain is a completely different process.  This scene was way more emotional than I ever thought it would be.  I took my ipod and stuck the earbuds in my ears to drown out Nick Jr. and started seeing the characters.  I played Rascal Flatts, "I'm Movin' On", because it's what my main character feels like he has to do.  Two best friends saying goodbye to each other and one of the guy's girlfriend.  They were so sad.  They'd all been friends for most of their lives.  Tears dripped down my cheeks just like theirs did.  I was standing in the room with them feeling all of their emotion.  I knew I'd wanted to write it, but I had no idea how it would effect me.

I guess that's why I love writing so much.  So far, most of the characters I've created are good people.  They do good things ..there are bad ones...there are always bad ones to throw kinks into plots, but my good characters are people I've grown to love.  Seeing one of my main guys hurting just about killed me.  I know he's not real, but he FEELS real.  It's like watching a movie in your head and you get totally involved in it while you're writing down what's happening.

Writing has become such a gift to me.  Not only have I met some great new friends and blog buddies, but they've challenged me to write and try things I would've never tried other wise.  I have 3 different short stories I pumped out without any prior experience of writing one.  I'm pretty proud of those.  One of these days, I may post a part of them on here.  I've heard not to publish whole works to a blog, because then you can't ever publish it for real.  The one short story will be published on a friend's blog, so I'll be able to put it on mine too.

I'll be guesting on @writercherie's blog  on Aug. 3. AND I'll also be guesting on @MichelleSimpkins ' blog on the same day.  I wrote a post on LOVE for Michelle and wrote a short story from a picture Cherie sent me and my other buddy @AMSupinger.  We looked at the exact same picture, but wrote two completely different stories.  Writing is SO cool.  I just love it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment