Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 4-Stretched too thin

I know, I know....I hear it all the time.  I have to go here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here...and then when I get home, I have to do this, this, this this, this this and this.  What is it with all of us American women thinking we have to do EVERYTHING all the time???
We watch programs and read magazine articles about how to get organized.  There's even the Flylady...bless her for all the work she's done to help women get organized.  I've fallen in and out of the Flylady's program...right now, I'm out of it.  When you walk into my house, you can tell it too...CHAOS!
I can't keep up....I admit it.  I'm so distracted with everything...I can't get anything done.  I'm working a full time job, trying to keep the house clean, do the laundry, help middle-school aged kid with autism with her homework and feed everybody something besides cereal every night for supper and write a novel all at the same time.  I want to be able to do it all well....but truthfully, if we all eat and make it through the week with everybody having clean underwear, I feel like I've done something. 
I was watching Oprah's trip to Australia and she was interviewing a family (she crashed their party) and asked them what they thought the main difference was between Aussies and Americans.  They all agreed that Americans live to work, and Aussies work to live.  They take longer vacations and their whole outlook is more relaxed than in America.  Jealous, much?  Yes, I am.
I'm not really sure when we got so out of whack and out of balance, but that's what it feels like.  I'm sure there's a list of statistics somewhere that shows when Americans started working so much more and resting so much less.  I feel like we need to take a step back as a country and slow down a little, but I don't see that happening.  It's just not in our nature for some unknown reason.  It's wishful to think one day I might put even a little of the 'Aussie philosophy'  to practice.  I'd like to think when I retire, that I'd be able to, but we stay so broke most of the time, I doubt I'll ever be able to retire.  I'll probably just switch professions and work, work, work until I'm dead.
I know there are other moms out there like me--stretched too thin and longing for a slower pace to their life.  Hopefully, we'll get to enjoy some sort of more peaceful existence before we reach Heaven....

No comments:

Post a Comment