Wednesday, April 11, 2012

K is for Karen

K is for Karen, Karan and Karyn

I have to admit, this post stumped me for a minute. Usually, I have an idea pop in my head almost immediately after I think of the letter. ‘K’ was different. It was a little tougher, but I think this post will be okay. 

I have a ton of friends named Karen. They spell it every way possible. 

I have two Karen’s that I grew up with at church. Both of them are excellent cooks. One is so talented, she enters the state fair with her cooking and quilting. The other is so talented she catered my wedding. She made a giant three layer cheesecake for our groom's cake and was in shock when she told me it took 99 eggs to make the thing.We still talk about that cheesecake monstrosity and the giant strawberry that sat on the top that was as big as my fist.

I've also taught a Karen or two as students in the 21 years I've been teaching. I have a 4-year-old Karen right now and another in 4th grade. I think it's interesting they're both Hispanic.
I know a Karen that is a fellow music teacher and also won TN teacher of the year. She got to go to Washington and get her picture made with the President. That’s a freakin’ big deal, people. For a lil’ole music teacher in the south any way..

I have another friend, Karan, who cuts my hair and my two girls’ hair. She is FABULOUS because she’s so sweet, does a good job and she’s patient with my youngest daughter who has Autism. It took a long time before my daughter allowed Karan to cut her hair at all. Sometimes, it’s still a bit of a struggle and she’s 13 now. We LOVE to go see Karan! 

Last but not least, is one of my best friends, Karyn. She teaches with me and I just love her. She was raised in the country like I was and is as loyal as they come. She’ll back you up in a heartbeat, but if you screw her over, she doesn’t forget it. She’s full of life and energy and always brightens my day. I feel lucky to be able to call her a friend.

I'm sure there are some I've forgotten about. It's late and my memory is waning. So, how many Karens, Karans, Karins, or Karyns do you know?

2 comments:

  1. Not as many as you know. I think there was a Karen in my high school, but we weren't buddies or anything. Erm, that's about it for me. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it's a southern thing...not sure...just thought it was weird I knew that many once I started thinking about it. ;)

    ReplyDelete